A foreign national seeking spousal sponsorship to Canada faces a highly complex legal process, regardless of whether the application is submitted domestically or at a Canadian embassy or consulate abroad. The spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner seeking to immigrate to Canada must be sponsored by a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, who must also submit a sponsorship application in support of the foreign spouse.


If the spousal sponsorship application is successful, Immigration Canada will approve a change in the partner's immigration status to permanent resident of Canada. If the partner resides abroad at the time the application is submitted, Canadian immigration authorities will issue a Canada Spouse Visa (Confirmation of Permanent Residence) to the partner, and he or she will become a permanent resident of Canada only upon entering the country.

Your spouse can work and get job offers in Canada.
Your spouse can study in Canada.
You can take a dependant child along.
No need to take the IELTS.

Canada Spouse Visa

Canada Spouse Visa Requirment

  • The sponsor must be able to prove Canadian citizenship or legal permanent residence
  • The sponsor must be willing to file a sponsorship application on behalf of the partner
  • Both the sponsor and the partner must be at least 18 years old at the time of application (but not necessarily at the time of the marriage, if local law permits minors to marry)
  • The partner must fall within the appropriate family category: spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner
  • The sponsor must prove his or her ability to support both parties financially and must sign a Sponsorship Agreement guaranteeing financial support to the partner for three years after permanent residence is approved

Can I Sponsor a Spouse While Living Outside Canada?

If you are a Canadian permanent resident living outside of Canada, you are not eligible to sponsor a partner to Canada. Only permanent residents living in Canada can sponsor a spouse to Canada. If you are a Canadian citizen living outside of Canada, spouse sponsorship is possible but you must establish the intention to live in Canada once your partner becomes a Canadian resident.

Working in Canada While Spousal Sponsorship Application is Pending

If you are applying for permanent residence from Canada, also called inland sponsorship or "spouse in Canada class," you may apply for an Open Work Permit at the same time as you apply for immigration, or you can even apply online. Once you receive a Canadian Open Work Permit, you may work in the country while your application is pending; however, you may not work in Canada until you actually receive it. Although there is no guarantee that your application will be approved, work permit approvals are quite common, and it is one of the primary advantageous of applying for spousal sponsorship inside Canada.

Partner Leaving Canada While Permanent Residence Application is Pending

If you apply for permanent residence as a spouse or partner while in Canada (inland spousal sponsorship) and you leave Canada while your permanent residence application is pending, there is no guarantee that you will be able to re-enter Canada, even if you attempt re-entry while your permanent residence application is still pending. If your application is denied, you will have to submit an entirely new immigration application in order to return.

Would you like to find out more or check if you are eligible? If yes, please use the APPLY NOW to check your eligibility.

Please Check Your Eligibility

© Copyright 2006-23 - Global Migrate | All Rights Reserved

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website Privacy Policy